I took a different approach - instead of changing the URL, I updated
default.py here:

def user():
    """
    exposes:
    http://..../[app]/default/user/login
    http://..../[app]/default/user/logout
    http://..../[app]/default/user/register
    http://..../[app]/default/user/profile
    http://..../[app]/default/user/retrieve_password
    http://..../[app]/default/user/change_password
    use @auth.requires_login()
        @auth.requires_membership('group name')
        @auth.requires_permission('read','table name',record_id)
    to decorate functions that need access control
    """

    if request.args[0] == 'profile':
        for field in db.auth_user.fields:
            db.auth_user[field].writable = False
            db.auth_user[field].readable = False

        db.auth_user.id.writable = True
        db.auth_user.first_name.writable = True
        db.auth_user.last_name.writable = True
        db.auth_user.minimum_tons.writable = True

if request.args[0] == 'profile' then you'll be affecting the form
displayed.  Or, maybe you could redirect from within this controller to the
actual page that you want.

-Jim