On Wednesday, September 21, 2016 at 6:37:21 AM UTC-7, Pierre wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am very familiar with the concepts of threads, processes and scaling
> issues. What i understand so far is:
> (1) a web2py application process manages a number of threads dealing with
> requests
> (2) I can run one or more additional scheduler processes to unload the
> main process (#1)
>
> doing (2) I may end up with more computing power allocated to  schedulers
> than to the w2p application ?
>
> (3) I read that an Oracle server can run in multi-process mode but every
> process is independant ?
> what for to run the same app in multi-process mode if processes can't
> coordinate themselves ?
> is this only good in the case of independant applications running on the
> same server ?
>
> Can a web2py app run in multi-process mode and stay synchronized ? if not
> how to scale it besides adding more threads to the main process?

The normal scaling (AIUI) is done with nginx or apache, and having worker
threads dispatched to run each request separately.  Web2py is designed to
work in that environment.  Each request accessing the database will take a
connection from the connection pool.  Scheduled tasks run in other threads
(that get launched at startup (manually or startup scripts).  Requests
don't usually monitor scheduled tasks, but a page can use refresh interval
or jquery to watch for when a task has finished.

What synchronization issues do imagine will occur?

What workflow are you trying to handle?

/dps