YES It is something I added. I first got the error in my application and it
didn't work. To make sure it is nothing to do with my application I added
it to the standard welcome application and got exactly the same error. So
it is probably something to do with nginx configuration( which I know very
little about) I run the  scripts/setup-web2py-nginx-uwsgi-ubuntu.sh
and hoped for the best:-)
The welcome application runs fine with nginx if I remove the import. For
some reason the module search ends in the application modules and not goes
over to the python modules.
Thanks for trying to help