I am using Web2Py on a RaspberryPI as a SOAP service provider and a very
rudimentary configuration is possible through some views. User interaction
is via a client application and users are mostly unaware that there is some
server running in one of their shelves. I have just recently implemented a
procedure to update a server via the client. It stores the current
web2py-app then exports the db as csv, updates any files that need
updating, clears all tables and reimports the csv. This works fine, but may
result in timeout messages on the client side, as tests have shown.
Besides, for the user there is no way of knowing how far the procedure has
gone, and how much longer the wait will be. Is there a possibility to give
feedback to the client? Any kind of message would be great just numeric to
fill a progress indicator or even text to display progress messages?

Regards,
Oliver Holmes