It's been a while since this thread had seen any traffic but I was trying
to deploy on dreamhost and ran into the same problem. I found this which
solved it:

https://github.com/web2py/web2py/issues/1413

In passenger_wsgi.py, web2py overwrites stdout with stderr but Passenger
needs stdout to talk to the application. Commenting that line out fixed my
problem.