Had a look at this and seems far better way to go as pygraphviz was beyond
me to install on windows.  I've been using d3 for some other things with
web2py and some degree of interactivity with the graph eg creating new
nodes and saving the layout as force directed typically gives you a good
starting point but some further manual organisation can help.  It also does
seem as suspected some tweaking will be required for larger data models as
some of it doesn't appear to show properly on my test.  I am currently
working on moving my stuff to d3 v4 which was proving challenging on the
interactive graph as I am no expert on d3.  I am hoping this example will
help with that and I will see if I can come back with some improvements to
this as well.

Regards
Donald