Richard,

I could fix it changing the following auth.message:

auth.messages.ajax_failed_authentication

For example:

auth.messages.ajax_failed_authentication = DIV(H4(T('Your session has
expired')),
                            T('Please '),
                            A(T('login'),
                              _href=auth.settings.login_url +
                                    ('?_next=' +
urllib.quote(request.env.http_web2py_component_location))
                              if request.env.http_web2py_component_location
else ''),
                            T(' again to view this content.'),
                            _class='not-authorized alert alert-block')