I don't agree. Other emails from elsewhere using mail.send() in the
application go out just fine. This despite the 'allow insecure apps' option
being off on the email account used. Only the emails generated by the
auth() registration and password reset processes are affected. There must
be something different about auth()'s usage of email causing the problem.

I tried turning on 'allow insecure apps' and it made not difference.

Also, if I run with old version built with web2py 2.12.3, this problem goes
away. (Though there was still a problem with password reset that I
documented here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/web2py/QBs3esYnH6w