On Friday, February 24, 2017 at 8:50:56 AM UTC-8, klas....@gmail.com wrote:

> Dear community,
>
> I am working on a school project, using web2py. I have a Python script,
> that should be run in background, because it takes several minutes.
>
> First, I tried using Homemade Task Queues, because they were simple and
> sufficient. But the problem is, to run the script checking the queue, one
> needs to execute web2py with command line:
>
> web2py -S app -M -R path/to/queue_script.py
>
> There are to problems:
>
>    1. I need to run the web server simultaneously (-a option), but that
>    doesn't work (web2py -a password -S app -M -R ... doesn't work at all)
>    2. I want to install web2py as a systemd service running in
>    background. As far as I understand, the -S option opens a shell, which
>    means, that systemd either runs into timeout, or it gets stuck in
>    "activating" state, never finishing starting the service...
>
> My question: Is there a way to run Homemade task queues simultaneously to
> the web server and without a shell (which lets systemd run into timeout)?
> Or should I change to the more complex web2py Task scheduler?
>
> Thank you

I haven't used the Homemade task queues, so I can't tell you much about the
-S issues.  I've used -S on the console with no particular issues.

The scheduler is pretty easy to use.  Niphlod has some fine examples in his
test code, and I've a pull request to add some example material to the book:

<URL:https://groups.google.com/d/msg/web2py/dnhHl8X2Dmc/ZbdwiTo_AwAJ>
<URL:https://groups.google.com/d/msg/web2py-developers/cI7R-9hex7k/PfTsGodYEwAJ>

There are several relevant posts in this group:
<URL:https://groups.google.com/d/msg/web2py/dnhHl8X2Dmc/fkf2fV8pAwAJ>
<URL:https://groups.google.com/d/msg/web2py/0OGyb5lWcjI/RL9f6nvOCAAJ>
<URL:https://groups.google.com/d/topic/web2py/x1CCFWflmV8/discussion>

/dps