> I tried putting the functions you mentioned in the process and validate
> method in the "user" function, but still no luck.

If you're talking about the default user() function, then you should have
something like form=auth(), in which case, you cannot use the .process() or
.validate() method, as auth() already handles that. If you want to add
callbacks to the auth() form processing, you must do so via the various
auth.settings options.

In any case, though, you can still access the errors as usual, as auth()
returns a processed SQLFORM object:

    form = auth()
    errors = form.errors

Anthony