stepping thru selectively with something like WingIDE can help you see how
requests get parsed, and how applications and controllers get invoked per
request.  It may seem a little tedious first time to figure out what calls
are "too much detail" and which are "essential" but I would argue that the
process of going through that is worth it (I grabbed a beer when I did ;-))

Another view you can have is to use  wireshark between your browser and a
request (but this has to be on a physical network node; localhost won't
work  - so think of looking at web2py.com/examples for a sense of this).
Filter through http packets, and look at what gets sent and comes back -
this will give insight into how the web2py base reacts to the "far" end,
where those requests come from.  It will also give you a view into threading
issues, caching, db pools, etc.

That slide 23 summarizes it densly, but to read what all those thick blue
and skinny yellow arrows are telling you - you'll get much more after one or
two walk-throught sessions.  You actually don't have to go very far with it
to get the benefit (that is, it's not as bad as it sounds, and I think is
worth the trouble).

Enjoy!

- Yarko