I know this has been discussed before, but I really would like to have an
up-to-date perspective on this.

I am currently developing an application in python 2.7, web2py 2.14.6 on
Google App Engine, that I plan to release for commercial use in September,
2017.

My short question is: should I stick to my current python and web2py or
should I switch to something newer now?

Reasons behind the question:
- I understand python 2.7 will come to an "end of life", and python 3 is
not fully compatible
- GAE now supports python 3
- I am not sure web2py is python 3 compatible, or it ever will be?
- I understand there is work on a "web3py", which might also not be
backwards compatible (?)
I would rather make a switch right now, if necessary, rather than after my
commercial golive.

I would like to have an overall strategy on this, to see what's ahead in
the next few years. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Greetings to all from Budapest, on a very nice sunny Good Friday :-)