We do have an adapter for db2:ibm_db_dbi did you try it? Anyway, in general
adapter are defined in

web2py/gluon/packages/dal/pydal/adapters
You can make your own adapter. The first step is identify which existing
adapter to extend. You want to pick the one with the closest SQL dialect.
Then you create (in a new adapter file) a new class that extends that
adapter. db2:ibm_db_dbi for example is defined in db2.py as follows:

@adapters.register_for('db2:ibm_db_dbi')

class DB2IBM(DB2):

    drivers = ('ibm_db_dbi',)

    def connector(self):

        uriparts = self.ruri.split(";")

        cnxn = {}

        for var in uriparts:

            v = var.split('=')

            cnxn[v[0].lower()] = v[1]

        return self.driver.connect(

            cnxn['dsn'], cnxn['uid'], cnxn['pwd'], **self.driver_args)

and can be called as:

db = DAL('db2:ibm_db_dbi:dsn=....;uid=...;pwd=...')