Hi I'm a relative noob to web2py and python - but plenty of dev experience.
Must say it has been a smooth learning curve for me and most stuff just
works out the box... thanks Massimo!

Pretty sure I found a bug here though. Running on ubuntu Xenial, postgresql
9.6 with psycopg2. I have a table defined thus:

db.define_table('FileServer',
            Field('HostName', rname='host_name', type='string', length=32,
label='Host', comment='The Host Name of the Server on the network'),
            Field('Address', rname='file_server_address', type='string',
length=32, label='Address', comment='The Address of the Server'),
            Field('CommissioningDate', rname='file_server_comm_date',
type='date', label='Commissioning Date', comment='The date on which the
Server was commissioned (YYYY-MM-DD)'),
            Field('OS', rname='file_server_os', type='string', length=32,
label='OS', comment='The Operating System running on the Server'),
            audit,
            rname='file_server',
            format='%(HostName)s',
            singular='Server',
            plural='Servers',
            migrate=True)

Decided to drop the OS column and create a new relation for it instead. The
migration fails with "relation fileserver does not exist". Went to look in
my sql.log file and found these entries:

from run previous when table is created

timestamp: 2017-05-30T13:10:09.134114
CREATE TABLE file_server(
    id SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
    host_name VARCHAR(32),
    file_server_address VARCHAR(32),
    file_server_comm_date DATE,
    file_server_os VARCHAR(32),
    created_on TIMESTAMP,
    created_by INTEGER REFERENCES auth_user (id) ON DELETE CASCADE  ,
    updated_on TIMESTAMP,
    updated_by INTEGER REFERENCES auth_user (id) ON DELETE CASCADE  ,
    is_validated CHAR(1),
    is_active CHAR(1)
);
success!

when I kick off the migration

timestamp: 2017-05-31T15:43:53.289791
ALTER TABLE FileServer DROP COLUMN os;

notice that rname is specified in define_table (highlighted above)

Seems the migration code observes rname for table creation (table and
column name) but not dropping the column where ALTER TABLE uses the Table
and Field names in the SQL?? I find it hard to believe that such a mature
product could suffer such a basic bug. Not sure this is the place to report
it. Somebody direct me to the right forum?

Having a whale of a time otherwise \m/