web2py will still create the auth_group and auth_membership tables (they
are not only used for the groups controlled by the
auth.settings.create_user_groups setting, which only determines whether
each user gets their own personal group). Anyway, I think the problem you
are having is due to naming your user table's primary key column "tabnum"
rather than "id" (the Auth code expects it to be called "id").

Also, you should not define Auth and its tables in the user() function, as
the table definitions will be needed in other contexts, such as by
decorators and appadmin. Move that to a model file.

Anthony