On Jul 9, 2009, at 10:22 AM, mdipierro wrote:

>> There's a lot to be said for using re.X when writing expressions like
>> this. Here's a quick hack as the current one.
>
> what does it do?

re.X? It's the same as the x switch in Perl: /regex/x

It causes white space and # comments to be ignored by the regex
parser, allowing the author to format and document the regex in place.

(Consequently whitespace and # have to be escaped if they're used in
the regex, but that's not often a problem.)