You have to include code in the view to conditionally show the error
messages when they are present. Alternatively, you can use this approach to
creating custom form markup:
http://web2py.com/books/default/chapter/29/07/forms-and-validators#Custom-forms.

Using the form.custom.widget.fieldname widgets will include the default
error messages automatically when they are present.

Anthony