I don't see how this is even possible, how are you supposed to store this
data encrypted and still be able to search it?

Are we supposed to unencrypt the entire database table each time we want to
search the data that's there?

What about caching? Can you cache stuff unencrypted?

This is crazy.

That said, if you do not need to "search" it, you can use filter_in and
filter_out
http://www.web2py.com/books/default/chapter/29/06/the-database-abstraction-layer#filter_in-and-filter_out

Note that I do not find anything in the GDPR that demands that all of this
data be encrypted at the database level or at all times. Encryption is just
one of the measures you can take to protect personal data.