First, the default validator is not IS_STRONG -- it is simply CRYPT with
min_length set to auth.settings.password_min_length (which defaults to 4).

Second, on the password change form, the validator is not ignored, but the
min_length of CRYPT is set to 1 for the "Old Password" field only (this is
not a problem, because the only validation that matters for the old
password is that it matches the password stored in the database). The "New
Password" field is validated with whatever validators have been defined for
the password field.

Anthony