On Jul 10, 11:26 am, mdipierro <mdipie...@cs.depaul.edu> wrote:
> On Jul 10, 9:12 am, Vinicius Assef <vinicius...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > What's web2py commitment with backward compatibility?
>
> We are fully committed to backward compatiliby. We never broke it in 2
> years. We do not accept patches that break it. That is one of the
> reason we call web2py an "Enterprise framework". I thought we said
> that in the main web page but somehow it disappeared in the last edit.
> I will put it back.

Massimo, thank you for your immediate answer.

I think it is a common shortcomming to companies when they choose to
adopt new technologies.

When a big company takes care of some peace of software, i.e, IBM,
customers know this is on way.
But, actually, this is not web2py's situation, right?

I would put it in web2py homepage and I'd enphasize it. With all
capital letters, colorful, and blinking! (just a joke)

Just saying "enterprise framework", can mean "able to work with large
teams", or "good methods", or "distributed teams", maybe "rapid
development", even "stardards compliant", but not backward compatible.

I'd also say there what you wrote: "We never broke it in 2 years".
It's worth reading. :-)

Backward compatibility is very, very important. Really.
I've worked to big telecom companies, here in Brazil, and this topic
was decisive to make some choices. Frequently, money was not the
problem. Lifetime cicle was. Despite technology or simplicity.

Congratulations.
+1 point to web2py. ;-)

--
[ ]s