Another possible use case -- suppose your application generates various
links to a particular action with different combinations of URL args and
vars and wants to limit access to that action so only the explicitly
generated links will work (i.e., prevent users from generating their own
combinations of args and vars). You can digitally sign the allowed URLs and
check the signature in the action to prevent any other URLs from working.

Anthony