Thanks for the reply, Dave.

There have been a number of issues surrounding the last couple of versions
of Mac OS which come down to the fact that Apple has tightened security of
the core of the system, As a result of that, some third party code doesn't
always run because its trying to do things that it probably should never
have been able to do, and that are no longer permitted - I was tearing my
hair out the last couple of days trying to update my version of pyinstaller
with pip failing no matter what I did because the system would not allow it
to delete old files that it expected to be able to :(

The problem here may ultimately be tied up with this general issue. I will
keep poking at it. It seems I'm the only one who has the problem :(

Jim