Thanks all for the replies,

I was able to go to gluon.globals and get the HTTP 400 error to show what
the problem was, turns out the request was still sending args and vars from
the previous test.

Oddly enough, clearing the request variables and arguments (setting them to
[] for instance) was able to solve the problem of getting the API calls to
not have any more bad arguments.

I still am not sure how to start fresh (or perfectly reset) the request
variables though, it seems that declaring

request = Request(env=[])

in setUp() does seem to work as I thought it would.

--------

As a sidenote, thanks all for the recommendation for py2test, I'll take a
look at it going forward, although I have a suspicion it wouldn't address
my issue straight on.