That's a utf8 to 8859 conversion right there. The mysql table (or data
in it) is not utf8. Whatever else you're using is probably making the
same error both while writing and reading the data, that's why it
comes out OK (or you have an AddDefaultCharset UTF8 if you're using
apache). The bottom line is - get the data right in mysql and web2py
will work properly.