In the past my site has used two variations of login. For internal users
with comprehensive access to our database, it has used a conventional email
+ password implemented via Auth. For a broader population of users who
interact with the site to maintain their membership and register for events
on their own behalf, I used email in combination with a one time token sent
to the email as a call back to validate the user.

In the future I plan to use the email validation for all users. For the
convenience of regular users, I will have a 'Remember Me' checkbox when
they validate their email address.

When the callback with the one-time token is processed, the session records
the login and sets the session expiration:

           session.when_expires = request.now + datetime.timedelta(days =
30)
           response.cookies['session_id_init']['expires'] = 30*24*3600

However, I find that I have to reset this expiration for each page that is
sent to the user:

            response.cookies['session_id_init']['expires'] =
int((session.when_expires - request.now).total_seconds())

I have tried without sucess to understand the code in gluon/globals to find
a way to avoid the need to reset the session cookie expiration with each
request?