I have been searching and reading and experimenting for 3 days now.  This
is driving me crazy and I know I am missing something fundamental as I am a
noob.

I want to have the user input several integers, add them up and put them in
a total field on the form before the submit to the database.  In the real
app  this is important for sanity checks.  I plan to make the total
non-writeable by the user as well.

The test code I have tried is below, ripped from an old thread here, and
returns NaN  for the total - not a number.  I am pretty sure val() is
converting it to a string but can't find out how to stop it, or an
alternative way to get the total into total

I really want to use this in a custom form using the widgets but figured if
I couldn't even make it work with this simple test, then I have no hope of
a more complex  approach.

Help please.

Model

db.define_table('additup',
                Field('number1','integer', default = 0),
                Field('number2','integer',default = 0),
                Field('number3','integer', default = 0),
                Field('total','integer', default = 0))

Controller

def index():
    form = SQLFORM(db.additup)
    return locals()

View

{{extend 'layout.html'}}

{{=form}}

<script>
jQuery("input[name='number1'],input[name='number2'],input[name='number2']").change(function()
{
jQuery("input[name='total',]").val(parseInt(jQuery("input[name='number1']"))+parseInt(jQuery("input[name='number2']"))+parseInt(jQuery("input[name='number3']")));
});
</script>