I hope people are not tired of my enthusiasm (and also hope everyone
realizes how _genuine_ it is!):

I swear there is nothing I have found better for either learning,
developing, advanced debugging Python than WingIDE.

There is a "generous"  30 day eval (that is, it is closer to something like
30 days of use than 30 calander days); there's also a "free" version
(althogh it doesn't include auto-completion, which for learning I would find
really handy).  Note also that it is nice to use with web2py:

http://www.wingware.com/doc/howtos/web2py

You can get free stuff;  I feel this is worth the money.

For tutorials, check out the tutorial in the python documents:

http://docs.python.org/tutorial/
http://docs.python.org/tutorial/introduction.html

Regardless of anything else, you will also want to get / use ipython -
(Interactive - pyhton) - it has code completion with the "tab" key, and is
generally useful:

http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/

If you have it installed, web2py will use it for command line (-S) mode;  I
think you'll appreciate that.

I'm sure people running under OS/X will have specific suggestions for Mac
also.

Have lots of fun!

- Yarko