The default search widget does not support list:reference fields. You can
create a custom search widget via the "search_widget" argument, and also
specify a custom search query generator via the "searchable" argument. See
the SQLFORM.search_menu and SQLFORM.build_query static methods to see how
the built-in widget and query generator work.

Anthony