With a bit more tweaking, this is now working for me. It removes the "/
init" from the URL:

routes_in=(('/(?P<a>.*)','/init/$a'),)
routes_out=(('/init/(?P<a>.*)','/$a'),)

and I made these changes to GAE's app.yaml file:

## Comment these out because they depend on web2py using the
application name in the URL
#- url: /(?P<a>.+?)/static/(?P<b>.+)
#  static_files: applications/\1/static/\2
#  upload: applications/(.+?)/static/(.+)
#  secure: optional

### This one should work with the web2py routes.py which removes the
application name (/init) from URLs
- url: /static/(?P<s>.+)
  static_files: applications/init/static/\1
  upload: applications/init/static/(.+)
  secure: optional