Hi Jeff,
         I have an app here (http://www.targetsoft.co.in/artpic) but it
isn't open source yet. Besides, I am working heavily to transform it to a
new pro level app which would include a social platform and loads of
goodies. Also it would be an independent app/site. This app does let the
users upload pics to albums they create and view it in thumbnails. It may
be broken at places but ofcourse a new version will be out soon.that will
address all these issues.

Rahul