I suspect you were actually running Python 3.x in which case "print xxx"
doesn't work because print has been mad into a function (requiring
parentheses).  When I start each on my Mac, this is the display I get:

Python 2.7:

ssmain:~ jbarnhart$ python

Python 2.7.10 (default, Feb 22 2019, 21:17:52)

[GCC 4.2.1 Compatible Apple LLVM 10.0.1 (clang-1001.0.37.14)] on darwin

Python 3.7:

ssmain:~ jbarnhart$

ssmain:~ jbarnhart$ python3

Python 3.7.2 (default, Feb 12 2019, 08:15:36)

[Clang 10.0.0 (clang-1000.11.45.5)] on darwin

You should be able to tell the version by the startup message.  If you are
actually running Python 2 and the code fails, copy and paste the actual
error message you get and we'll puzzle it out.

Warm regards,
Joe