SQLite doesn't make a distinction between string and text nor have a length
limit, so yes, you're just "lucky" at the moment. If you plan to migrate to
something like Postgres, either explicitly set a higher limit or just use a
text field.

Anthony

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/web2py/adc52c5a-c85d-44da-8b18-fb67f12c7f42%40googlegroups.com.