Hi!
I have a problem with pdf output running in python3 environment. The
problem I'm trying to solve is more complex, but I managed to strip it down
to a very small example. If I get this running, I'm sure to manage in my
actual situation.

I created a new application with a controller like this:

# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

def index():
    return dict(
        data=UL(
            A('Output html', _href=URL(print, extension='html')),
            A('Output pdf', _href=URL(print, extension='pdf'))
        ),
        message="hello from tiatpi.py")

def print():
    return dict(content='Data with "dschörmän" Umlauts')

Pressing the first link I get presented with expected web page.
Pressing on the second link I receive an Internal error:

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/mnt/c/Users/Silvan Marco
Fin/Desktop/Working/web2py/gluon/restricted.py", line 219, in restricted
    exec(ccode, environment)
  File "/mnt/c/Users/Silvan Marco
Fin/Desktop/Working/web2py/applications/pdf_test/views/generic.pdf", line 9, in
<module>
    pass
  File "/mnt/c/Users/Silvan Marco Fin/Desktop/Working/web2py/gluon/globals.py",
line 434, in write
    self.body.write(to_native(xmlescape(data)))
  File "/mnt/c/Users/Silvan Marco
Fin/Desktop/Working/web2py/gluon/packages/dal/pydal/_compat.py", line 136, in
to_native
    return obj.decode(charset, errors)
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0xd0 in position 10:
invalid continuation byte

Bevore assembling this small snippet I experimented with the whole
situation for some time now and I never produced anything else than
exceptions, most of them some form of DecordeErorr or EncodingError, so I
assume, there is something wrong with either fpdf or the XML() helper.
I would greatly appreciate any help on this!

Kind regards,
Silvan

Additional Information:
Environment:
I'm running an ubuntu in Windows 10 pro 1909 WSL:
silvan@Nepumuk:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release:        18.04
Codename:       bionic

and from web21py admin pages: 2.18.5-stable+timestamp.2019.04.08.04.22.03
(läuft auf Rocket 1.2.6, Python 3.6.9)

But the problem shows up on native Ubuntu Linux as well.