I had a similar problem a few days ago. The answer I received was effective.
On windows
Ensure python is pathed.
Extract the source files from the .zip file to a directory.
Run dos box or
Switch to the new directory created, and run
python web2py.py

David Swarbrick da...@swarb.co.uk - dsw...@gmail.com - swarb.co.uk Tel 0795
457 9992 / +44(0)1484 380326