This is not a web2py requirement, and I think it should be kept that way.
However, I see value in some kind of site wide config like this that
can be used optionally.

On the other hand, there are only a few cases where a complete URL is
required. In the case of OpenID this is most likely to be only one app
(the rest can reroute it's auth to this 'central' app), so
configuartion can be kept with the application.

But you are free to submit a patch implementing site wide config.