I have custom form where I'm placing the fields in different groups in a
bootstrap 3 collapse
(https://getbootstrap.com/docs/3.3/javascript/#collapse).

It is all working great except for when the user submits a form and an
error occurs in one of the collapsed groups.  The result is that the form
submit appears to do nothing because an error message popped up on a hidden
element and the user can't see it.

I'm want to capture this somehow and notify the user that the submit is
failing due to an error in the form.

But, I'm not sure how to capture the 'submit failed' event and then do some
javascript magic to find the right way to notify the user.

Has anyone else tackled this problem in the past?

-Jim