I would realize this via ajax reacting as long as the time is not over.
Just have a look on the wiki example in the web2py documentation:
http://web2py.com/books/default/chapter/29/03/overview#A-simple-wiki
There the the search controller def search() combined with callback action
def callback() gives you a blueprint on how to do it.

Regards
Clemens