Hello,
It is a big question, and does not concern only web2py. You can find people
asking the same general question in StackOverflow. And the aswers are
generic : The most important is the TLS communication.
https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/110415/is-it-ok-to-send-plain-text-password-over-https

(and see linked duplicate questions)
Do you know any website that does hash the password client-side ?
Arglanir