I am running web2py on my ubuntu machine and my client is a WinXP in
virtualbox connected in bridge mode (thus both machines are on the
same LAN address space - and they are the same laptop computer ;-). I
put web2py on one virtual desktop and the WinXP vbox client in the
other and I can just click back and forth from client-svr-client.

Ok, so I downloaded geany and looked at it. It looks very nice but...
where is the debugger? I think eclipse is a titanic of a (eeww java)
IDE but pydev works and the visual debugger works well.

Right now I'm pulling my hair out. I put some kind of bug into
default.py controller and now my XMLRPC calls just fail with a 400 Svr
error. I opened a shell and loaded exec_environment('applications/
appname/controllers/default.py') but no errors register. Dunno now how
to debug this thing. With eclipse I can run web2py (while in root
user) in eclipse in debug mode, and single step through the controller
code - when this !...@#$ing error does not happen. I'll continue to dig
around.

Anyone care to share their secrets for debugging controller code? BTW
my error crept in when I declared a couple of global vars. I
introduced a new function for the client to call (via XMLRPC - which
effectively just runs controller functions in the controller space) to
populate the lobal vars so I cannot imagine that there's something
wrong with the environment. Everything worked before this. Now I
cannot trigger the debugger to stop at any breakpoints. This makes me
believe that the controller default.py is failing while loading.
Seeing as it isn't an importable python module, I'm left wondering how
to dig into this one.

Also, I noticed that I can debug/pick through most of my model/db.py
code simply by selecting the "database administration" feature. It
rings up a trouble ticket and shows where the code failed. Very nice.

--
Rb (still stuck in WTF-land)