>2) should we provide a cookie aware xmlrpc cllient with web2py?
>
>3) should we allow other mechanisms to id sessions? For example a uuid
>in the URL?

These are very application-specific. Other services may require a
token in the method's parameters, other may require http auth, some
may need cookies etc... I wouldn't go beyond the xmlrpc spec on this
subject. Furthermore, a "good"  service should be designed to work
with no state. State is the client's job, not the service, and this
makes your service more scalable. Then session.forget() should
probably be the default with return service().