For #1, I'd suggest you visit an entry I have in my (web2py-built)
blog: http://www.julioflores.com/zblog/blog/view/20 - web2py can very
well be "debugged" real time, with variable scoping, stack data,
breakpoints, etc, etc, literally as you would run a webapp in .Net
(you just need to get the right tools)..

Julio