I'm not sure of the best way to approach this, any suggestions?

I am inserting records into a table that contains an upload field for
an image (which is stored in the table as a blob). The user will be
able to later change this image via a form, and I wish to expose the
field for download, thus the use of the upload field. However, when I
first insert a new record, I want to store a default image in the
upload field as the initial insert is not done via a form.

Currently I am opening a default image stored in an application
directory containing a set of default images and storing that file's
contents in the blob used for the upload field. I am not sure, however
what to do about the filename string that is stored in the upload
field itself (usually generated on form.accepts). Is the function that
generates this value from the filename exposed in a manner that I can
use it to manually generate a value outside of a form.accepts? Or does
it matter what I store in the upload field as a value (eg. Could I use
tablename.fieldname.<record id>.filename as a unique value (although
this would be not optimal for the DB as I have to do an insert to get
the ID and then an update for the generated filename)?

This code represents what I want to do:

# get the default image
filename = os.path.join(request.folder,'templates','default.png')
file = open(filename)
imageBlob = file.read()
file.close()
# generate a unique value for the upload field
uploadName = generateUploadName('profile','file','default.png')
db.profile.insert(file=uploadName,file_data=imageBlob)

Not sure if generateUploadName() is a call to an already existing
web2py method or one that I need to create myself, and if I create
myself, if it needs to be consistent with with what is normally
generated when using form.accepts.

Suggestions?