Hi Arvind,

On Sep 22, 12:36 am, Arvind <arvind.ran...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I find that the SQLFORM factory name somewhat leads me to believe
> that, this is a form factory based off sql. WHy such a name for a
> factory which does not actually use SQL ?

It does use SQL to CRUD data from the table during accepts processing.

> I need to build  forms, which contains fields from different tables.
> The form fields will be placed on specific places on the screen to
> create a different visual effect.
> Which kind of FORM creation method is best suited for this kind of
> work ?

SQLFORM can be used with one table at a time.
But you can have multiple forms per page and <mind-opener-follows> you
don't have to display the form or forms as created by SQLFORM, you
don't even have to pass them to the view (in case of input only), you
can have your own forms as long as they name the fields the same.
See manual:
 page 188 (204 in ipaper): "Multiple forms per page",
 page 218 (234 in ipaper): section 7.7 "Custom form".

> pls forgive me, if i am asking very basic questions. I have worked
> nearly all my life with ASP.NET and I am still finding it hard to
> understand certain concepts here. Especially, when it comes to
> designing your own custom looking forms with different attributes and
> behaviours. For me, i see that the whole form is being creating in the
> controller as opposed to the view.  So, i am taking a while to digest
> web2py's way of doing things.

You can create the form in the controller or you create it completely
outside web2py.
Now that is flexibility.

Denes.