Hi everybody,

After evaluating quite a number of web frameworks, I ended up with
web2py and frankly I am more than impressed. It rocks in many ways
(could talk about it for some time really) and fits very close to my
internal requirements.

But I am a newbee and I am running into newbee problems:

While creating the needed data model, I got stuck with a circular
reference, which I can not resolve. This might be simply a problem
with a bad design of my data model, but I will describe it anyway.

I have port_agents, which are assigned to specific ports. One port
might have several port_agents.
At the same time each port might have a preferred agent, so my model
looks something like this:

db.define_table('ports',
    Field('name','string'),
    Field('port_agent_id','references port_agents')  # this references
ahead and does not work
    )

db.define_table('port_agents',
    field('name','string',
    Field('port_id', db.ports),
    )

How can this be done in web2py?

I could use a field 'is preferred agent' on the port agent, but then I
have to build checks, that nobody else is a preferred agent for this
port etc.

Any suggestions?

Regards

Markus