The plot thickens.  It looks like reference fields are stored as type
long internally and hit a repr at line 449 of sql.py in sql_represent
function.  That is where it is converting 8 to 8L.  I think line 448:

if fieldtype.find('.'): <----returns -1 which evaluates to True

should be

if '.' in fieldtype