(re-posting since I think my previous message went to just one person)

Is there an option or a validator that will strip whitespace before
applying remaining validators for a given field on a form?

Somewhat related: I tried the CLEANUP validator but the resulting
variable still had characters like !...@#%^ in it. Maybe I mis-understood
its purpose... perhaps it strips special characters for the other
validators, but then when everything is done the original typed value
gets sent? It would be cool if there were a validator that took a
regex or a list of characters and stripped those from the input (so a
phone field might ignore everything except digits).

I checked the documentation and for some reason the source code has
strike-out markup over it.
http://mdp.cti.depaul.edu/examples/static/epydoc/web2py.gluon.validators-pysrc.html#CLEANUP.__call__