On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 7:02 AM, villas <villa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 21, 10:45 pm, mdipierro <mdipie...@cs.depaul.edu> wrote:
> > We can go on and on. We need other people input on this.
>
> I cannot understand why Massimo's plugin idea appears so contentious.

The contention is on its congruence with its intent; this should not be hard
to understand.
It intends to provide a "modular" system,  but yet forces view of the code
into the appication space - this is asking for trouble (and has unnecessary
other limitations to boot).

> Perhaps the only problem is that the smaller details of his
> implementation are in his head rather than written down.

Not at all - in fact, I suspect quite the contrary (and have tested /
challenged that here): I believe the BIG details (never mind the small ones)
are not well worked out - in head or otherwise, and that is precisely what I
am saying this (in particular) needs BEFORE the "agile" build often /
release often... you can't build much if you are either  building the wrong
thing, or are unclear about important parts of what you are building.

Agile is just a method for the very last steps of development (that is, the
implementation);  scrums and stories are for relatively simple requirements;
 this needs some responsibility-driven partitioning before you even start
considering stuff down at the level that agile works.

However,  in
> the best traditions of agile programming,  he has released his concept
> as software which can be tried and tested. What is the point of
> pretending that we are working as a huge team of programmers who feel
> compelled to specify their entire day before they can eat breakfast?
>
> IMO there is little harm in adding a model, controller and views to an
> app,  providing they are named as per the convention and thus can
> easily be removed again.

I disagree - I disagree very strongly, for many reasons (separation of
concerns; multiple responsibilities for data - a bane in programming
recognized since the profusion of globals in Fortran drove people to write
RATFOR (rational fortran, a structure reminiscent of C, when C was not yet
widely available).

THere are many fundamental and longstanding CS basics at risk here, and
those basics have good reasons.  That is being missed here, and needs to be
"seen" and appropriately dealt with.

Agile of bad / imprecise requirements only results in quickly produced bad
results.

I can understand if you don't see this, but that does not mean all these
reasons are not here.

So, I'll repeat:  this needs work if it is to be workable and usable. Of
this I have no doubts.

- Yarko