David and Pierro,  Thank you both for these suggestions.
I'm pretty sure you both have identified my problem.  I think
I have three Python installations now what with the original, then
an old install of IDLE and its Python, and now MacPorts.
I think when I used MacPorts to install psycopg2 it defaulted
to 2.4.  I've since then tried to repeat the MacPorts install but
asking for py25-psycopg2 and it almost works, fetching and
building a lot of things, but then fails before finishing.
I'm thinking of trying a different machine or somehow
uninstalling most of my Python code and starting again.
 Thanks again for your help.
--Steve