lol. Please check again the code in trunk. Anyway, reading again the
original post...

> form = SQLFORM.factory(Field('multiple_options', requires=IS_IN_SET(('Hi',
> 'Milk', 'Mom', 'Love', 'Santa')), widget=SQLFORM.widgets.checkboxes.widget))

This was wrong to begin with. It is not clear if this should be

  form = SQLFORM.factory(Field('multiple_options', requires=IS_IN_SET
(('Hi',
  'Milk', 'Mom', 'Love', 'Santa'),multiple=True),
widget=SQLFORM.widgets.checkboxes.widget))

or

  form = SQLFORM.factory(Field('multiple_options', requires=IS_IN_SET
(('Hi',
  'Milk', 'Mom', 'Love', 'Santa'),default='Hi'),
widget=SQLFORM.widgets.radio.widget))

none of which should require the patch in trunk.
Only case checkboxes may need to report an error is if one is
tampering with the form or if one is setting weird constraints like
"select any two of the following".

Massimo