'en' is less specific.

color or colour might be in it (depending on who wrote the string);  it is
ambiguous.
Removing ambiguity, so that - if some application appropriately needs to be
picky about spellings, idioms, grammatical subteties, I think is important.

'en' is "generic";

However, it is also what comes (from web2py?) to the client in the
Content-Language setting (in essence, we are here, within web2py, declaring
for the application writier what the default content-language is, so that it
can be matched with a client "accept-language" --- that is, acceptable
language to serve for the request).

I do not have a powerful position on this - but am more convinced this patch
should declare only one language (the concept of it declaring in effect a
web2py "content-language" at the program level seems to fit, make sense, and
work for me).

There is a lot to read on this,

http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-http-and-lang

and I would only say that I think if we think in terms of this being about
declaring the web2py level equivalent of "content-language", then it should
be singular.

- Yarko